Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Flintoff to retire from Test cricket

Andrew Flintoff has announced that he will retire from Test cricket at the end of this Ashes summer. He will be available for Twenty20 and ODI cricket and is expected to be fit for second Test against Australia. Flintoff has missed 25 of England's last 48 Tests through a variety of injuries, suffered another fitness scare on the eve of the Lord's Test.

"It's not something I have just thought of overnight, it's something that's been on my mind for a while regarding this series," said Flintoff. Also he added "I've had four ankle operations and knee surgery, so my body is telling me things, and I'm actually starting to listen. I can't just play games here and there while waiting to be fit. For my own sanity, and for my family's, I've got to draw a line under it. I've been going through two years of rehab in the past four, which is not ideal."

Since the 2005 Ashes, he has averaged 28.25 with the bat and 34.68 with the ball in 23 Tests (both figures down on his overall Test record of 31.69 and 32.51), and he has not managed a century or five wickets in an innings in any series since then. In the 25 matches that Flintoff has missed since 2005, England have won 12, drawn 10 and lost on only three occasions. In the 23 matches in which he has been present, those numbers are almost exactly reversed - won 3, drawn 7, lost 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment